MOST EDIBLE FLOWERS ARE TOTALLY FINE TO EAT RAW - SOME MAY TASTE BETTER WHEN COOKED.
LIKE HOLY FUCK, SQUASH BLOSSOMS ARE TOTALLY FINE JUST PUTTING IN YOUR MOUTH, BUT IF YOU STUFF THEM WITH RICOTTA CHEESE, BREAD THEM LIKE AN ONION RING AND FRY THEM, IT’S LIKE THE TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA JUST STARTED PLAYING IN YOUR MOUTH!
THIS GUIDE IS A LITTLE MORE COMPREHENSIVE - IT DESCRIBES GOOD COOKING IDEAS FOR EACH FLOWER.
As far as what to serve to drink how about a nice mulled juice drink? Normally this would be mulled wine but with a bit of tweaking you’ll have something similar. Here’s a recipe I use for my children:
- One bottle of purple grape juice
- One peeled and sliced orange (keep peel to add zest to taste into cooking pot)
- One peeled and sliced lemon (keep peel to add zest to taste in cooking pot)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup sugar (or honey can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup waterCombine all ingredients in either a large pot or a slow cooker. Gently warm the ingredients on low to medium heat (avoid boiling), for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure that the honey or sugar has completely dissolved. When the juice is steaming and the ingredients have blended well it is ready to serve. Ladle into mugs (leaving seasonings behind), garnish with a blood orange segment and perhaps black plastic, Halloween spiders and enjoy!Of course you’ll want to make Soul Cakes as well:You’ll need:
- Two sticks butter, softened
- 3 1/2 C flour, sifted
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg & saffron
- 1 tsp each cinnamon & allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp malt vinegar
- Powdered sugar
Cut the butter into the flour with a large fork. Mix in the sugar, nutmeg, saffron, cinnamon and allspice. Lightly beat eggs, and add to flour mixture. Add malt vinegar. Mix until you have a stiff dough. Knead for a while, then roll out until 1/4” thick. Use a floured glass to cut out 3” circles. Place on greased baking sheet and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while the cakes are still warm.
Other than that you can serve meat or Colcannon:
- 1 pound cabbage
- 1 pound potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 1/2 cup butter
- In a large saucepan, boil cabbage until tender; remove and chop or blend well. Set aside and keep warm. Boil potatoes until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Chop leeks, green parts as well as white, and simmer them in just enough milk to cover, until they are soft.
- Season and mash potatoes well. Stir in cooked leeks and milk. Blend in the kale or cabbage and heat until the whole is a pale green fluff. Make a well in the center and pour in the melted butter. Mix well.These are some traditional Samhain Foods. Another neat idea is serve those dishes your ancestors made if you have access to the recipes. I hope you have a wonderful Dumb Supper!Crystal